Monday, May 28, 2012

What a terrific memorial day weekend!

My daughters birthday always falls on memorial day weekend since it is the 27th, well this year I asked her what kind of cake she would like and she said a 'princess cake'. So, I got to thinking about how I could make her a princess cake, especially how I am not a baking queen lol. I love baking but I lack the skill in fondant, sculpting etc. I did not let that stop me though, I remembered buying the Big top cupcake a few years back and using it for Irelyn's first birthday.
So I decided this was how I was going to create Violets cake.
I used 2 boxed of cake mix, which made a TON of cake mix but I wanted to fill the big top cupcake molds a little more to get a bigger cupcake.
Violet wanted pink cake so I got the deluxe moist supreme strawberry cake mix. Probably lucky that I did that because I may have overcooked the top a little since when I did go check on them (an hour after I put it in the oven) they were both done, the top and the bottom molds. Supposedly the top should come out 10-15 mins before the bottom - whoopsie. So I guess the moist cake helped me out because it was very good!
So I let it sit overnight in the fridge so I could trim it and ice it the next morning.
I of course had to trim the cake because it comes out rounded on top so you cut it flat to get a nice fit. I also trimmed the edges so they did not come to a point where the top and bottom meet (making it look like a giant cupcake) and instead gave it more of an oval shape. Then I put icing in between the top and bottom to get a good seal and a little icing in the middle never hurt no one.
I then just put strawberry icing all over it as smooth as I could. Then I had to snap Belle's legs off (eek!) and shove her into the top of the cake. Then I just used the decorating tube of icing they sell in the store and the X tip to create a little design on the top around Belle's waist and at the bottom of the cake.
I then just put the white sprinkle globes and pink sparkle sprinkles all around the 'dress'.
And WALA We have a 'Princess cake' - Slightly traumatic when you pull the doll out with no legs lol but you just move past that lol there is no way she could have kept her legs with this cake, she was wayyy too tall.
See my pics! I am so proud!













No comments:

Post a Comment